Posted by Sheila Shayon on January 24, 2014 07:49 PM
It turns out the credit nightmare is far from over. Following Target's announcement that at least 40 million consumers had their credit information stolen and another 70 million that had personal information compromised between Black Friday and Christmas, high-end retailer Neiman Marcus has announced that at least 1.1 million credit and debit cards used in its stores were compromised.
Neiman Marcus' breach, though, reportedly went unnoticed from July 2013 through October 2013, heightening criticism of the company's delayed response. “We are notifying ALL customers for whom we have addresses or email who shopped with us between January 2013 and January 2014, and offering one free year of credit monitoring and identity-theft protection," CEO Karen Katz wrote.
"During those months, approximately 1,100,000 customer payment cards could have been potentially visible to the malware. To date, Visa, MasterCard and Discover have notified us that approximately 2,400 unique customer payment cards used at Neiman Marcus and Last Call stores were subsequently used fraudulently.”
While unconfirmed, some reports speculate that the hacks were set forth by the same loose group of cybercriminals based in Eastern Europe, the New York Times reports.Continue reading...
Posted by Mark J. Miller on January 22, 2014 11:21 AM
BlackBerry’s eventual demise has been predicted for more than a year, particularly since its last batch of consumer phones made practically no impact on the mobile market. But it looks as if BlackBerry will live to die another day, as the brand has been on the up-and-up so far in 2014 and received a big vote of confidence this week from the US government.
"The US Defense Department said its smartphones will be the primary device supported on a new network,” according to Bloomberg. By the end of January, around 80,000 of the company’s phones will be connected to the Department of Defense system. Apple’s iOS and Google’s Android will also be represented on the system but only with about 1,800 phones and tablets. According to Fox News, the phones are part of the Pentagon’s “new mobile program for unclassified work.”
The news of the order helped BlackBerry’s stock see a gain on Tuesday, while the stock has seen a 22 percent gain so far this year. That's a noticeable turnaround from 2013, in which the company's stock fell 37 percent to a 10-year low in December. The company, though, doesn't expect to turn a profit until 2016.Continue reading...
detroit auto show
Posted by Dale Buss on January 15, 2014 02:57 PM
Ford's CMO said something Snowden-esque about privacy at CES last week. And at NAIAS this week, Ford's CEO clawed back what he said. It was one of the biggest illustrations yet of how connectivity and all that it implies has become one of the most important dimensions of the global auto—and greater tech—industries.
The controversy began last week when Ford CMO Jim Farley said at a panel that the company can use global-positioning technology to know when Ford drivers break laws.
"We know everyone who breaks the law; we know when you're doing it," Farley said, according to Business Insider. "By the way, we don't supply that data to anyone."Continue reading...
let's make a deal
Posted by Sheila Shayon on January 14, 2014 12:57 PM
On the heels of CES 2014, Google has effectively tapped into arguably one of the biggest trends in consumer tech—the smart home—by buying Nest Labs for $3.2 billion in cash, its second-largest acquisition to date.
The company founded by former Apple executives Matt Rogers and Tony Fadell, who is credited as a key player in the invention of the iPod, is known for creating smart thermostats and smoke detectors. Nest told Forbes that it has sold about 1 million of its thermostats, placing them in nearly 1 percent of US households.
But Nest, a company started by and filled with ex-Apple employees, doesn't seem to be worried. Continue reading...
Posted by Sheila Shayon on January 10, 2014 05:33 PM
Twitter and Facebook are taking divergent paths—the former adding a feature and the latter subtracting one, but users won't likely be complaining about the changes.
Twitter is testing a new feature in which 'power users' will now be rewarded with direct messages when their tweets achieve major reach. Facebook, on the other hand, will officially kill-off controversial "Sponsored Stories" as of April 9.
According to TechCrunch, Twitter’s new feature is based out of the handle @AchievementBird, which will send DMs of kudos and encouragement for tweets that see a lot of retweets, comments and favorites. “Sending alerts to users notifying them that people are actually reading and even using their tweets in articles seems to be a good way to encourage those users to tweet more. And converting users from lurkers to active tweeters is important for retention and growth," the site notes.
Previous Twitter experiments in this vein include @MagicRecs, which suggested who to follow and what tweets to read, and @eventparrot, which sent messages containing links to tweets on breaking news.Continue reading...
Posted by Sheila Shayon on January 2, 2014 07:22 PM
Apple is under fire, refuting allegations it worked with the National Security Agency on back-door malware for spying on iPhone users called DROPOUTJEEP, with which it could, in theory, snoop on "any" Apple iPhone with "100 percent success."
A report in Der Spiegel on Sunday revealed a tailored Access Operations (TAO) unit within the NSA focused on penetration of foreign computer systems for data retrieval to protect national security, along with a separate division, ANT, created to compile data on hacking network systems and consumer electronics.
Apple responded with the following statement:Continue reading...
Posted by Sheila Shayon on January 2, 2014 11:14 AM
Being among the top downloaded apps of 2013, attracting brands as diverse as MTV and IHOP, and getting immortalized in a marching band halftime show wasn't enough to save Snapchat from a data hack of immense proportions. 4.6 million usernames and phone numbers were leaked online Tuesday night, posted as a downloadable database by still-anonymous hackers.
The database site disappeared Wednesday morning—ironically mirroring Snapchat’s founding promise of photos that would self-destruct in a snap.
The hacker group seems to be sending more of a message to Snapchat than the public, as it censored the last two digits of phone numbers "in order to minimize spam and abuse," but said users could contact them directly for the uncensored version, which they would make available "under certain circumstances," according to RT.com.
In a statement on the now-defunct webpage, the group said it posted the database to "raise awareness on the issue" and warn Snapchat users: "The company was too reluctant at patching the exploit until they knew it was too late and companies that we trust with our information should be more careful when dealing with it."Continue reading...
Posted by Dale Buss on December 23, 2013 04:38 PM
Target is understanding what it's like to have a bulls-eye painted on its brand. Regulators, banks and some American consumers have joined the hackers who breached the retailer's data troves in dumping coal into Target's corporate stocking this Christmas season.
In full crisis-mitigation mode, CEO Gregg Steinhafel offered a 10 percent, one-checkout discount to all customers over the weekend after a massive data breach left information of about 40 million shoppers vulnerable to thieves. But there was evidence that some shoppers already had begun to shy away from Target for their holiday shopping last weekend, with the Wall Street Journal reporting a 3- to 4-percent decline compared with the weekend before Christmas a year ago.
Meanwhile, Chase popped restrictions onto debit cards affected by Target's security breach, contacting about 2 million card holders over the weekend and telling them that they would be limited to a maximum of $100 cash withdrawals and $300 in purchases per day, affecting less than 10 percent of Chase customers.Continue reading...