brand extensions

Apple Releases The iPad, Just In Time To Save Publishing

Posted by Russ Josephs on January 27, 2010 02:12 PM

Do you remember the day the Kindle came out? No? What about the Zune? You don’t even know what that is? Trust me, you’re not alone. However, chances are you or your friends lined up to get the iPhone, or the iPod, or the iPod Touch, or the new iMac, or the MacBook Air, or the… you get the idea. No other company produces products like Apple, and no other person knows how to effectively judge the needs and desires of consumers like Steve Jobs.

It doesn’t hurt that Apple’s products also give a significant boost to – if not completely reinvent or even save – industries that have not done well in the transition to digital media, companies who’ve helplessly watched their print and video content make its way into the hands of consumers for free. Apple’s strategy is actually quite simple, but highly effective: Choose a portion of the online marketplace (mobile apps, music, etc.); invent a device that makes the content associated with it easy to purchase and consume (ideally a device that is slick, slender and portable); sell the content.

And so we have the Apple iPad, the savior of not only the newspaper industry, but of publishing itself! The device will provide a new way to read books, magazines and newspapers, along with a new way for that content to be monetized. It’s like an iPod/iTunes for print media (the new app is actually called iBooks). Already, Time, Hearst and Condé Nast have created mockups of their publications for the device, and HarperCollins, McGraw-Hill, and Penguin have made their books available on it.

Oh, and aside from text, the iPad will allow users to watch films, play games and surf the Internet, not to mention run all the iPhone and iPod Touch apps. It comes with Google Maps, an almost full-size keyboard and a new version of iTunes built in. It’s way too early to tell if the iPad is a “truly magical product” as Jobs described it before he introduced it – or if it will indeed save publishing – but so far so good.

Comments

sarah United States says:

Please, please, please tell me that you all are going to talk about the name i pad... I can't wait to hear it....

January 27, 2010 04:05 PM #

Alex South Africa says:

iPod, iPhone, iPad ... its that simple! Unless you want to get intimate about it?

January 28, 2010 03:35 AM #

Warren Slingsby United Kingdom says:

Looks great to me. Kills Kindle dead in the water. If I wanted to get a device like this, I'd definitely being queuing up at Apple's rather than Amazon's door. Can't see myself buying one, but I can see lots of other people buying one and I'm really interested as to whether it will save the publishing industry.

January 28, 2010 03:47 AM #

Kian Malaysia says:

Sarah & Alex:  Well, where i come from, women use the term "pad" interchangeably with sanitary napkin. "Intimate"? Perhaps too much so?

January 28, 2010 04:12 AM #

Pamela United States says:

I have always associated pads with paper. It may not be the cleverest name, but it makes good sense to carry through the connection and utilize the extremely simple and logical "i" branding. If this truly is a pad I can write on rather than just read from I would buy it. The name doesn't really matter, it just needs to tell me what the product is and what it does since technology tends to mystify a lot of consumers.

January 28, 2010 11:44 AM #

sarah United States says:

Yes, I was referring to the sanitary napkin definition of the word pad. Seems like a naming blunder to me here in the US. People making jokes about the itampon coming next, etc.

January 28, 2010 04:13 PM #

RJ United States says:

iPad came out in 2007 actually, at least according to MadTV:

February 3, 2010 01:08 AM #

laptop United States says:

Wow cant wait till march and i really want buy it ..... iPad wow

<a href="http://ipadtalking.com/">ipad forum</>

February 18, 2010 06:48 PM #

barrak Kuwait says:

why if march come i pad will come to kuwait that meens it now in apple yhanks to u im gunna go buy it

March 1, 2010 12:28 PM #

barrak Kuwait says:

hey guys which day the i pad will come to kuwait

March 1, 2010 12:24 PM #

Rashid Oman says:

i have1 order one i pad
thanks
rashid jafri
00968 97721264

March 28, 2010 08:21 AM #

iphone Library App United States says:

This is my 5th IPOD that I ordered I just simply love ipod

Thanks

April 6, 2010 04:27 AM #

Get top rankings on search engines with amihay inbar ecom United States says:

They have chances are you or your friends lined up to get the iPhone, or the iPod, or the iPod Touch, or the new iMac, or the MacBook Air, or the… you get the idea.

April 21, 2010 01:10 AM #

lisa United States says:

I was one of the lucky few to get my hands on an iPad last week and I must say, so far so good. It's an incredible piece of technology and I think it will change the way we read, watch movies, listen to music and more. I just want to find more apps and sites related to iPad, which seem to be hard to trace online. I can't believe that the iPad reviews index http://www.dozenipad.com ranked Touchgrind as a Top iPad game site. I think Touchgrind is a stupid idea – who wants to fingerboard when you can skateboard for real? The best thing about iPad is going to be video and HTML5. Most of the video sites such as youtube and vimeo can be accessed by the iPad and I think it'll improve the ultimate viewing experience.

April 24, 2010 06:48 AM #