Best Global Green Brands 2014

social media

Old Spice Man, Wing Man, Matchmaker

Posted by Shirley Brady on July 14, 2010 02:00 PM

They may be paining our colleague Abe Sauer, but these Old Spice Man spots are a hoot. Isaiah Mustafa's viral smash personalized social media responses this week included a unique request via Twitter: to deliver a marriage proposal to the girlfriend of Johannes S. Beals.

After Mustafa's smooth proposal, Beals responded thusly and posted this pic as proof his girlfriend is now his fiancee. Beals also changed his Twitter bio to read: "The Old Spice proposal was real. Thank you Old Spice for helping me with this." His location? "Happily engaged."

The smooth online/offline social media responses, funny (check out the response to Demi Moore's tweet after the jump) and transparent, might serve as a case study for other brands playing in this space.

Comments

Grant Martin United States says:

Old Spice's willingness and ability to raise the bar like this continues to astound me. I actually think you might be understating just how groundbreaking this campaign will turn out to be. Kudos to Wieden + Kennedy, their brilliant creative team, and seemingly indefatigable pitchman Isaiah Mustafah. Check out Jeremy Griffin's open letter to Old Spice at http://bit.ly/9HWM8S for a funny and in-depth analysis.

July 14, 2010 03:17 PM #

Shirley Brady, Editor, Brandchannel United States says:

Appreciate the comment, Grant -- when you get a moment, please read Abe's take (linked at http://www.brandchannel.com/forum.asp) and post a response on this week's debate about the Old Spice campaign. thanks!

July 14, 2010 03:29 PM #

A Sauer United States says:

Ha. Well, I think my take is maybe being a little distorted. I fully endorsed these ads as hilarious and smart and watchable. I love them... as entertainment. But we'll see how both Old Spice sales and the brand look 12 months from now. So far, sales numbers, while less than solid, are not great.

July 14, 2010 05:07 PM #

Shirley Brady, Editor, Brandchannel United States says:

Excellent point -- the sales numbers will out! I'm sure P&G will be monitoring the impact on Old Spice's brand recall and viral buzz stats, and how all of this boosts sales.

July 14, 2010 05:53 PM #

A Sauer United States says:

Also, I would recommend a look at the band Ok Go. While not a consumer product, their experience with massive viral success has not turned into sales. Everyone talked about the videos. (Including brandchannel! www.brandchannel.com/.../OK-Go-Viral-Contest.aspx)

The band's inability to turn millions of video views into millions of sales has them considering just making money off the page-views.
www.guardian.co.uk/.../ok-go-viral-video-success

It's not the same situation of course, but the idea that wild internet popularity and critical acclaim equals cold hard cash is not always the case.

July 14, 2010 10:24 PM #

Grant Martin United States says:

Dear A Sauer: To borrow from Victor Laszlo's character in Casablanca, you sound like a man who's trying to convince himself of something he doesn't believe in his heart. Do you really think that the viral success that Ok Go enjoyed is analogous to the campaign that Old Spice is orchestrating? If you have a chance, check out the article on Read Write Web at http://bit.ly/bpJetE on how the Old Spice videos are being made. I would be interested in reading your follow-up comments.

July 14, 2010 11:54 PM #

A Sauer United States says:

Grant, Thanks for the link. I have seen that, yes. It's very interesting.

And, well, I think I noted that the OK Go situation was not exactly the same, but it's worth looking at.

Again, I like the ads as entertainment and I'm very willing to be convinced they can equal long term brand building. But I'm not, yet. They are just too post-modern, too winky-winky. Indeed, the Read Write iece (which is being passed around  a lot) proves that everyone seems to be interested in this campaign, nuts to bolts, fascinated by even its architecture, by its actor. What I don't hear anyone at all talking about is the product.

July 15, 2010 11:16 AM #

مقالات تقنية Albania says:

Very nice and informative article, thanks for sharing. I will definitely recommend this to my children!

July 15, 2010 11:27 AM #