Best Global Green Brands 2014

package design

Bud Refresh: The King of Beers Puts on a Bowtie

Posted by Mark J. Miller on August 4, 2011 01:00 PM

A can of Budweiser used to seem as American as baseball and apple pies, but consumers have been losing interest in the brew for years and the beer’s owners, Anheuser-Busch InBev, are trying a new way to combat losses.

After 18 months of development, Budweiser is getting a new logo, can and packaging design, according to the company, in a visual refresh that will emphasize the color red as well as the brew’s creed that promises a continuation of the iconic beer’s "135-year long commitment to quality."

NPR suggests that the can now has so much red, it almost looks like a Coke can. This is the 12th redesign since Bud launched its first can in 1936. Take a closer look below and let us know what you think.

"Budweiser's success is rooted in aspects of the beer that will never change – a crisp, refreshing taste, an unwavering commitment to quality and the enormous pride we take in each batch," said Rob McCarthy, vice president of Budweiser, in the company’s release.  "Our refreshed packaging design gives Budweiser an updated look, which dramatizes the iconic Budweiser bowtie and incorporates the brand hallmarks that loyal Budweiser drinkers will recognize and appreciate."

The plan is for the new design to hit American consumers in the next few weeks and then debut overseas. Redesigned packaging will also include a QR (“Quick Response”) code “that will better enable Budweiser to regularly communicate with consumers,” the release added. Some of the key redesign elements:

Comments

Lyndsey Chauhan United States says:

Budweiser getting classier with a rebrand?

August 4, 2011 11:49 PM #

geo United Kingdom says:

Seems  more modern in look and does catch the eye.  However I don't like their product ( I prefer the Czech one) so I still wouldn't buy it.

August 5, 2011 05:13 AM #

Nick@Knight says:

I've been staring at the photo of can and keep coming back with "disjointed" - I don't see a harmonious look.  However, I'm glad they didn't go retro or old school.  That would have been a step back wards and right now Bud needs to move forward and become relevant to US LDAC-34 craft beer-centric drinkers and continue to fight the perception of being a Billy Joe/Jim Bob redneck beer.  The new look with the bow tie and A-B medallion logo (Good Housekeeping seal of approval?) at the bottom may play better globally than here.   In the end, it's what's inside that counts.

August 5, 2011 08:46 AM #

Zack United States says:

It definitely does look disjointed.  The logo can't stand on it's own without some sort of backdrop and I can't help but think "boring" and "monotone".

To that effect, I think you may need to do some background research on your comment about Bud being more "craft-beer"-centric.  While I agree Budweiser is not the best beer and may be portrayed as "Billy Beer" or what have you, Bud is and will always be Bud.  Anheuser_Busch, however, owns many "craft" beer brands like Redhook, Grupo Modelo, Widmer Bros Brewing, Bass, Boddington's, Beck's, Hoegarden, Stella, Kirin, and the list goes on.

August 5, 2011 12:08 PM #

David New Zealand says:

@Zack,  Craft beers. Are you kidding? These (Redhook, Grupo Modelo, Widmer Bros Brewing, Bass, Boddington's, Beck's, Hoegarden, Stella, Kirin,) are all corporate beers. It's not possible for AB or any large brewing conglomerate to make a craft beer.

August 7, 2011 10:08 PM #

Carole Mayer United States says:

What they need to change is the taste, not the brand appearance.

August 5, 2011 09:49 AM #

Jeff Ess United States says:

This design is so vanilla and safe that I don't care about it. I prefer the constitutional look from where is was headed. The bow tie is just lame.

Good bye, Budweiser.

August 5, 2011 11:29 AM #

beachcomberT United States says:

I preferred their old logo, a classic symbol that endured through the decades. The new bow tie makes me think "cheap" and "dumb" -- not a beer for connoisseurs. I realize designers have to make a living but why do they have to redo the icons we know and love?

August 6, 2011 07:11 AM #

knightfantastick United States says:

I prefer the classic look over this new one. The can packaging is what kills me, it's leaning closer and closer to the Nascar crowd presenting itself as a more obnoxious beer that's trying too hard. Personally I think they should be focusing on giving the Bud Light brand a face lift before touching Budweiser, just clean it up and get rid of the swoosh graphics & nonsense.

August 9, 2011 08:45 PM #

lalalal United States says:

Yes a new can is going to make us want to drink your piss water. Now that micro brews are showing us what real beer can taste like, why would anyone go back?

August 11, 2011 11:12 AM #

hello United States says:

You can dress a turd in a $1000 dollar suit and it's still a turd.

August 11, 2011 11:14 AM #