From the Nike FuelBand to its limited-edition "Back to the Future" Air Mag shoe, Nike new product releases always grab attention and cause some serious hubbub, particularly on social media. Now you can leverage your social savvy to guarantee you get that new release.
According to NikeBlog.com, “Looking to finally put an end to the mayhem that accompanies around-the-block lines and campouts for highly-anticipated releases, Nike is introducing a new Twitter RSVP system for all company stores. The goal being to get shoes claimed and spoken for as soon as they release — at a random time on the release date — while also banning line-ups outside the store.”
Given the brand's next hot new shoe — the Jordan 12 ( Air Jordan XII ‘Playoffs') — Twitter must be seeing a lot of sign-ups this week. The US-only move engages customers with each local store's official Twitter feed, while using dedicated hashtags and Twitter's offline "direct message" function keeps the reservations process from clogging up users' Twitter timelines.
How Nike's new Twitter RSVP system works:
• On the RSVP date, our store will send a tweet at a random time to begin our Twitter RSVP process, including a product specific hashtag (#tag).
• Once registration is open, you must Direct Message (“DM”) the store within 60 minutes. The DM must include:
1. The product-specific #tag tweeted by the store
2. The last 4 digits of your State/Passport/Military/School ID number
3. Your shoe size (limit one).
• Confirmations from the store will be sent via DM to those who have successfully secured their requested size. Shoes will be awarded on a “first respond, first serve” basis.
• Confirmed recipients must pick up their product (in person w/ identification) from the store on the day of launch. Unclaimed product will be announced on Twitter and will be re-released at the store’s discretion.
How do you properly RSVP through DM? Here’s an example:
• Store Tweet:
Twitter #RSVP is now open for the Air Foamposite One.#Electrolime
• Consumer Response (DM):
#Electrolime, 4253, 10.5
Twitter RSVP Terms and Conditions:
• One item allowed per person, even if you receive two confirmations of successful registrations. Abuse of this rule may result in denial of purchase or entry to future launches.
• Confirmed recipients must provide a valid ID that matches the last 4 digits used for RSVP.
• Size cannot be changed once it has been confirmed to a person through Twitter RSVP.
• Resell or trade of Twitter RSVP confirmation is prohibited.
• Twitter RSVP confirmation is not transferable and not redeemable for cash or for credit towards any purchase.
• Lines will not be allowed to form outside the store for this release.
• Launch process is always subject to change at any time at the discretion of Nike, Inc.
“There is one glaring pitfall in this process - not everyone has a Twitter account," notes SneakerNews.com. "However, online release will remain the way they are, so for now, nobody will truly be left out, and the RSVP system should alleviate some of the heavy traffic that Nikestore experiences during these major midnight releases."