The Social Media Advertising Consortium (SMAC) has a new Board of Directors and Leadership team, adding members from Google/Google+, HBO, Mashable, PivotCon, Big Fuel, Digital Brand Architects, Resolution Media, an Omnicom Media Group Company, RGA, SocialChorus and Vitrue, an Oracle company.
SMAC was founded in 2009 with a mission to foster collaboration throughout the social media ecosystem, an increasingly difficult challenge as issues such as the industry-wide effect of the convergence of paid, owned and earned media top their agenda.
“Standards need to be at the forefront. Measuring the ROI of social is the biggest thing lacking. This is preventing the industry from moving forward,” said Nichole Goodyear, former CEO & Co-founder of Brickfish.com and Executive Director of SMAC.
Brandchannel asked new member Sharon Feder, chief operating officer of Mashable, about the biggest challenge in fostering systemic collaboration in the evolving digital media landscape today:
With digital, everything is more integrated than it was on previous mediums. This presents both an opportunity and requires a shift in thinking about brand and content. The challenge here is that all parties have to try a new creative model that places a different set of demands on everyone.”
New SMAC board of directors include:
- Joe Burton, President & COO, SocialChorus
- Reggie Bradford, CEO & Founder, ViTrue, Inc.
- Sabrina Caluori, Vice President, Social Media & Performance Marketing, HBO
- Mike Edelhart, CEO, Pivotcon
- Sharon Feder, COO, Mashable
- Alan Osetek, President, Resolution Media, an Omnicom Media Group Company
- Karen Robinovitz, Co-Founder & CCO, Digital Brand Architects
- Avi Savar, Founder and CCO, Big Fuel
- Karen Spiegel, SVP & Managing Director of Communications/Marketing, RGA
- Rikard Steiber, Global Marketing Director, Mobile & Social Advertising, Google/Google+
Veteran members reelected:
- Stephanie Agresta, EVP & Managing Director of Social Media, Weber Shandwick
- Stuart Bogaty, CMO, YouBeauty.com
- Bonin Bough , Global Director of Digital & Social Media, PepsiCo
- Tom Gerace, Founder, CEO & Director, Skyword
- Nichole Goodyear, Strategic Advisor Social Media
- Andy Markowitz, Director, Global Digital Strategy Group, GE
- Scott Monty, Global Digital & Multimedia Communications Manager, Ford Motor Company
- Leslie Reiser, Director of WW Digital Marketing, IBM General Business
- Ian Schafer, CEO & Founder, Deep Focus
- Shiv Singh, Head of Digital, PepsiCo
As for the impact of social on search, Goodyear commented, “Twitter and Facebook will go after the search revenue. At the moment 97% of Google revenue is from search but Google has limited access to the conversation on FB and Twitter. It's a fundamental groundswell change and is driven by how consumers changed - word of mouth carries more weight than what the brand says.”
SMAC has its job well-cut out as social media advertising traverses the swells of new waves of technology, metrics, and consumer expectation and demand.