In the challenging world of gaming console marketing, American Express has launched a co-branded experience that combines activity-based advertising and digital partnerships, building on AMEX's success with Foursquare, Facebook and Twitter.
The blue chip brand is taking its Card Sync technology to Microsoft’s Xbox LIVE’s “Halo 4” to unlock content and offers for U.S. cardmembers and for U.K. cardmembers.
Cardmembers can sync their Card to their Xbox LIVE Gamertag on their Xbox 360 console by logging in here (U.S.) and here (U.K.) to receive an Access Code, real-time, to enter in the American Express digital experience tile in the Game Marketplace in the Games section of the Xbox 360 dashboard, then share their Xbox LIVE Gamertag to be directed to the offer dashboard.
U.S. offers include:
- AMC Theaters – Spend $10, Get $5
- PacSun – Spend $50, Get $25
$10 statement credit from American Express U.K. offers include:
- Carphone Warehouse – Spend £50, Get £25
- Cineworld – Spend £10, Get £10
- Dixon’s Travel – Spend £50, Get £25
- Topshop's Topman – Spend £50, Get £25
- £10 statement credit from American Express
“We expect this to be the biggest game of the year,” said Ross Honey, gm of Xbox Live Entertainment and Advertising.
Leslie Berland, American Express SVP of digital partnerships and development, told Adweek, “We’re bringing a totally new experience to the platform that’s never been done before,” targeting the 40 million Xbox Live members who are AmEx card members. Not an app, Berland calls the experience “a native integration.”
Personalized offers are coming soon. “Bring an appmaker like Hulu into the fold and the possibilities get even more granular. Imagine: an offer from Sports Authority for a winning season in Madden 13 or a deal from Disney to watch a whole season of Modern Family on Hulu Plus,” notes Adweek.
Additional offers and experiences available by completing the following “Halo 4” achievements:
“Operation Completion” Complete a Spartan Ops Mission on any difficulty:
- US Cardmembers unlock a Best Buy offer (Spend $100, Get $50)
- UK Cardmembers unlock a Currys PC World offer (Spend £50, Get £25)
- “Wake Up John” Complete the campaign on normal or harder:
- US Cardmembers unlock a $25 statement credit
- UK Cardmembers unlock a £25 statement credit
- “Lone Wolf Legend” Be one of the first 25 people in the US or one of the first 5 people in the UK and be eligible to win a trip to E3, the annual conference that showcases the latest in video games and interactive entertainment – including airfare, accommodation and event access
While limited to Xbox for now, Berland added that iterations for console and mobile gaming platforms are possible, “We’re absolutely looking at all areas.”