2014 Brandcameo Product Placement Awards

ad watch

Nissan Apologizes After TV Ad Broadcast Goes Rogue

Posted by Abe Sauer on January 6, 2014 11:12 AM

If you watched football this weekend, you'll never forget it. No, not the miracle comeback of the Indianapolis Colts nor the implosion of Alabama. We're talking about the Nissan Rogue ad—you know which one. The one where the Nissan drives on the train. Yes, that one. And if you saw it—and you know you did—social media evidence suggests you came to despise it with a depth generally reserved for the Roll Tide-War Eagle rivalry. In fact, things got so bad that Nissan was forced to apologize.

Nissan debuted the ad in blunderbuss fashion, covering everything from I Heart Radio to the New Year's Eve TV special to, as every football fan knows, all of the college and NFL games this past week and weekend.

Oddly enough, the Nissan Rogue ad itself is not that grating. To the background of hip music, a trio of millennial commuters jumps a Rogue onto a commuter train as a shortcut to work; "Commute Your Way" is the tagline. It's no surprise the spot was directed by the man behind the The Italian Job reboot. The ad shows the Rogue beating both bicyclists and train transit commuters to work, as recent data show both modes of commuting are gaining in popularity in cities across America even as driving to work decreases. Good grief, even Texas cities are seeing more biking and mass transit riding and less driving.

But the Rogue ad was broadcast so incessantly, so frequently across shows and games, that it created a social media backlash.

Things got so bad in fact that by Sunday, after the spot had aired countless times, Nissan responded on Twitter to tell disgruntled game fans "Our bad!" and that the brand was working to decrease the ad broadcast rate.

Meanwhile, there was a social media ad winner from the weekend.

And in case you missed that Old Spice "Smellcome to Manhood" ad:

Comments

Paul Thompson United States says:

The Nissan ad was clever, I thought, albeit dangerous to encourage reckless driving to the demographic that the ad was aimed at.  The Old Spice singing commercial was poorly done. I hated it.

January 6, 2014 01:19 PM #

Limpeza pos Obra Brazil says:

It seems to be very important, comments are really important

January 8, 2014 05:02 PM #

mka001 United States says:

The issue was not limited to over exposure.  This is a ridiculously dull-witted commercial that would have been annoying if it only ran a reasonable number of times.  The explanation presented in the article of why the author thought the ad was clever indicates the mind set that fills our airways with this kind of intestinal seepage.  So, it is a clever ad because some stupid kids in a car are faster than a bicycle (Note: only if they ride said car on a train roof)?  Wow, I am so in the wrong line of work.  I need to hit my head against a wall a few thousand times until my intellectual capacity is low enough to be an ad writer (or just watch this commercial a few more times for the same effect).  This advertisement was designed to appeal to the mentally vacant.  Sadly, the car itself is not a bad little automobile, but you would never know this fact from this thought abortion.  The ad was both patronizing and obnoxious.  Did the producers of this bile really think that it was necessary to put the term "fantasy" in large print?  I guess they put this term in such large print because they thought their target audience has an IQ of about 70 - completely demeaning. Then at the end of the commercial, the driver is smug about a fantasy. The country's collective IQ is lower from watching this once - let alone the thousands of times that it has aired..

January 8, 2014 11:26 PM #

korg tuner metronome says:

Good day! I could have sworn I've been to this website before but after looking at some of the posts I realized it's new to me. Nonetheless, I'm certainly delighted I stumbled upon it and I'll be bookmarking it and checking back regularly!

Feel free to surf to my web page:  korg tuner metronome - http://jungmaurer.newsvine.com

January 11, 2014 11:15 AM #

DMH United States says:

The stupidest commercial I've seen in a long time. I wouldn't by a Nissan for any price. When will we, as the buying public, start asking NOT to be insulted by every ad on TV?

January 11, 2014 06:55 PM #