My Starbucks Idea is now five years-old and remains the gold standard of crowdsourced tip boxes that have actually worked for a brand and delivered ideas from customers (150,00 plus) with innovations (277) that have actually been implemented.
Customers today can order a “skinny” beverage and a cake pop, garner digital rewards for using their Starbucks Card and enjoy free Wi-Fi – all thanks to suggestions from fans.
“For five years, our passionate customers and partners have been sharing their ideas with us on My Starbucks Idea, and we have listened and acted upon many amazing innovations that we have received from this online community,” said Alex Wheeler, VP global digital marketing for Starbucks.[more]
“From digital rewards to new coffee flavors to the little extras, like splash sticks, that make your day easier, our customers have incredible ideas that we can bring to life in stores worldwide,’ Wheeler added in a press release.
“We don’t know what the next big idea from our customers may be, but we’re thrilled to keeping listening, engaging and making adjustments to improve the Starbucks experience for fans everywhere.”
Some of the big ideas that have emerged from the Starbucks crowdsourced ideas platform:
- More than 3 million mobile payments are transacted weekly in Starbucks US stores – drive thru locations (Idea #202).
- Menu items including skinny beverages and Mocha Coconut Frappuccino Blended Beverages (Idea #144), Hazelnut Macchiato (Idea #275) and Starbucks VIA Pumpkin Spice Flavored Coffee (Idea #233).
- More than 5.8 million cake pop treats enjoyed annually as customers share ideas for smaller sized treats in Starbucks stores (Idea #128).
Here’s a list of ideas to date by category:
- 33,315 Coffee & Espresso Drinks
- 3,483 Frappuccino Beverages
- 9,758 Tea & Other Drinks
- 15,310 Food
- 8,055 Merchandise & Music
- 16,389 Starbucks Card
- 2,955 New Technology
- 10,760 Other Product Ideas
- 8,007 Ordering, Payment, & Pick-Up
- 14,484 Atmosphere & Locations
- 11,038 Other Experience Ideas
- 4,937 Building Community
- 9,058 Social Responsibility
- 5,540 Other Involvement Ideas
Below, Starbucks’ videos highlight the role of community—April being Starbucks’ annual global month of service—and some milestones in My Starbucks Idea’s growth: